Microtrains bogie repairs

308GTSi Jun 21, 2021

  1. 308GTSi

    308GTSi TrainBoard Member

    38
    52
    2
    I have a few Microtrains 4 wheel freight car bogies which are slightly bent.

    On each one a single axle box is bent outwards which allows the wheel set to fall out.

    The bogies mostly came from "New old stock" cars. There was no evidence of any damage on the rest of the cars.

    Is it possible to bend them straight again ? Would carefully heating and bending work ?
     
  2. Run8Racing

    Run8Racing TrainBoard Member

    921
    323
    19
    Wrapping them tightly with a rubber band for a few days may work. If you really feel you need to apply heat, put them in boiling water. DON'T use lighter, stove, etc. You will wind up with a little black blob of Delrin !!! Honestly, I would just replace them. They don't cost much.
     
  3. 308GTSi

    308GTSi TrainBoard Member

    38
    52
    2
    I agree about the price being excellent. It's just that 2 of the problem bogies were from a pack of new ones. 10% of me was annoyed , the other 90% said " Ahhhh , a challenge ! , I've gotta fix them".
    I live waaaaaaaaay to far away to send them back and do not believe its worth the hassle for myself and everyone involved.

    I have some old Rapido bogies which can be discarded so I may try to bend those first ,,, assuming they are made of Delrin too.
     
  4. tehachapifan

    tehachapifan TrainBoard Member

    1,693
    425
    42
    They were new? Maybe you could try contacting MT, explaining the issue and see what they say. I think this is probably an unusual occurrence. Perhaps they might replace them for you.

    Edit: I re-read the original post again. Says new old stock. Could they have been exposed to heat somewhere along the line? Anyway, still could be worth a try.
     
  5. John Moore

    John Moore TrainBoard Supporter

    11,238
    6,035
    160
    I have had the occasional truck get bent at one end and have had luck just pressing the ends together with my fingers and hold them. Anther option is to run a dish for of hot tap water and place the trucks in it to soak a few minutes then just squeeze the ends together and hold until cooled.
     
    308GTSi likes this.

Share This Page