Feb 19, 2007
That organized work bench, well. it scares me a little.
Trust me, it no longer looks like that.
Looks like I have some painting to do...
I see a good assortment of cements! Which are you using more- CA or the liquid bonding agent?
I'm pretty sold on Tamiya Extra Thin, but I keep Plastruct in supply just in case. I have started using Starbond CA, it's absolutely fabulous stuff.
In the Bondene bottle I took what I had left and started dropping in small bits of styrene. I can use that mixture to fill gaps where applicable.
First coat of primer on the last remaining building parts.
On a side note, I want to use oils to weather the main structure, but in order to assure the oils won't negatively affect the photo paper I am going to do a test. Tonight I sprayed a small sample with dullcote. I'll let that sit for a day to see if it affects the paper; if not, I'll try some oils on the sample to see how those do.
I use that Tamiya thin stuff too, great stuff I agree. I dont care for their thick glue tho, maybe I just dont have an application for it.
Where does the Starbond AC come from? I never seem to get the right super glue.
I purchased Starbond here: https://www.starbond.com/?rfsn=3512733.23c3ea
I bought the bundle and added a pump sprayer and refill bottle. Spray works for most applications, but I find the pump has more control in confined areas.
Well, we're in the home stretch. Some tweaks and a little gap filler in spots to finish her off then onto the layout she goes.
I wish I had your skills for these type ventures Mike, just great modeling! I had thought about modeling a loading dock where the trailers are at an angle to save valuable space.
Doors are done, now going to add some details, like the stairs at the end of the loading dock, and then weathering.
That has turned into quite a project! You’ve given me some ideas for the Port. Thank you for all the pictures Mike!
Some pretty cool stuff done tonight by the fellas. Wain spent the evening putting in trees, shrubs and plants along the buffer zone in Maple Valley.
Scott put in place the Edwards and Bradford burner, then put in some scenic touches.
He then spent much of the evening hitting the E&B buildings and piping systems with weathering. The subtle rusting of the roof in this scene looks awesome in person.
I finished up the steps to the loading dock on the Wesco building, then we put it in place for a quick fitting.
Later in the evening (basically in the 5 minutes it didn't rain) I took the building into the garage and gave it an initial dusting of dullcote before I start the weathering process.
Rey did a ton of car weathering and Doug continued his landscaping under Mt Rainier. I'll get you picks of that in a later post.
The highlight of the evening was Ed turning on the power and running a set of cars through defect detector. I'll do a special feature on that soon.
Thanks for following our progress.
Send your excess wetness over my way. We'll take it!
you all nailed it on that cut along the tracks in the 3rd picture. Absolutely fantastic! Just to be clear, everything looks great!
First round of weathering in the books.
Next building up is the AMPAC (American Plastics and Composites) plant. In this building we will only see the back side (north) and part of the east side of the building. Lucky for me there is no storefront to build. Just the piping and the cyclone to push the pellets into the silos. Silos will be located on east side of building. Here is a shot from earlier today of the prototype:
This building is 27 inches long, so it will accommodate 3 plastics cars on the siding. I have several in the fleet.
Tonight I started building the piping system. Three pipes and three valves.
I'm using Cornerstone kit 933-3105 for the piping system.
Earlier today I received a new supply of styrene sheet from ePlastics. Tomorrow I have a scheduled delivery of the Micromark duplicutter. My thought is to cut panels, like a concrete tilt - up building would have. It won't be like either of the other two buildings in its proximity.
A quick update on the AMPAC building. Completed the first section of piping and test fit it on the foamcore.
Then I set out to make the tilt up panels using my new duplicutter.
The first 9 panels are now ready for install.
After a long night of sitting in the clamps, the Ampac building was ready to start applying details. After adding drip edge and foundation, I decided to fab up a loading platform. I have rolltop garage door left over from another project so it worked perfectly. I'm keeping it out for now so I can paint it separately. It just pushes into place, a nice fit.
Now, after marking where the piping supports are, I can mask this up and head to the paint shop.
While the building dries from 2 coats of primer I set out to build the silos for the plastic pellets. This Google earth view shows 6 silos, I have room for three.
I ran to home depot and grabbed a 1-1/4 inch pvc cutoff. Once home, I cut it into 3 segments each 7 inches long. I glued 010 styrene to the top then glued each onto a single piece of 060.
I then added valve covers to the facing side. These access points are for cleaning.
Then I added access stairs to the building side of the outer two silos, as per the prototype.
Finally I added the rooftop catwalk, again per the prototype.
Then it was in to the garage to hit the assembly with primer.
We'll let it dry overnight, then we start painting the building is final colors.