One of the funny things about building a layout is where I can't quite decide what to do next. So in my last post I said I'd go work on ballasting the yard. And I prepared for just that! I took out all of the ballasting materials I have, some new, some old (I used to make wargaming terrain using woodland scenic products), and laid it all out on the table. Then I stared at the yard for twenty minutes trying to decide what colours to use where. That got me thinking that really, I should plan where the road and parking lots should be placed. Now, to decide on those, I really should figure out where the buildings are going to be! I already have a good idea for those, based on the track plan I posted much earlier in the thread where I had plunked down a few Pikestuff buildings around the yard. Right, so turns out that just didn't feel like tackling that ballast just now, but several months ago, I did buy an engine house kit. Aha! That's what I'm going to do next! So why not, I took everything out of the plastic bag, and started looking at the stuff. That's a lot of parts. Yikes. See, I haven't built a model kit since well, I was a kid really. Back then, my model kits, given to me by aunts and uncles, were messes of plastic cement and plastic parts. However, compared to all those years ago, we now have the Internet, and Youtube. So after reviewing a few choice videos, I got to preparing the kit. So first things first, I cut out all of the wall parts and fitted everything as nice I could. A few different files, some 600 grit sand paper, some cutters and a brand new #11 blade were all I really needed. The kit has a lot of small wall sections, meaning you can build it pretty much like you want. I opted for pretty much a stock configuration. On the backside of the parts, we can see the cutouts where doors can be added. I'm also much better at using plastic cement. As a kid I never realized that I'm supposed to coat both sides, wait a bit, then touch the plastic parts together. That would lead to frustrating times where the plastic parts would slip and slide together and make a mess of fingerprint marks all over the plastic. The biggest downside of all these little sections of wall meant that some of the sections didn't quite come together as well as I'd hope, leaving some seams. For this I used some Tamiya plastic putty. It's ummm, interesting. First time I use it and I'm not sure I got the hang of it yet. I thought the putty would be easier to smooth down, but it becomes clumpy very very fast. I've since washed the walls, windows and door in some warm soapy water and next step is to paint it. I'm not sure whether I should apply some primer first, or just go right to airbrushing the colours. As for the colours, I used one of the countless metal building manufacturer websites that provide color selectors, and came up with this light tan/charcoal trim look: Note that my layout is not based on any real location, so colours and planning are really just from imagination. Gary: the cattel car was printing in sections, however the sections with walls were printed flat.