Dec 1, 2015
Ok...I think that I PM'ed everyone that is participating
Got it..... Thanks!
Question...... I took multiple pictures during the process and was going to give descriptions of the different things done. Would it be okay to do details here and can we post a few more pictures of the finished product? I have the left and right looking different.
Same with mine, each side of my model is different.
I understand that we are trying to simplify the voting process but I would like to explain all the little things that I spent time on. Maybe this can be done in this thread and the votes in the other thread. I can show before and after on a car I have two of and skip all the work! Lol If I show the details..... It can help someone else learn more about this
So does this challenge have to be a MTL car? or Just have MTL couplers?
Any MTL product
My understanding is a set of MTL trucks would make any 40' box legal. I happen to used a MTL box but just a MTL part. I swap all my trucks so I am happy with this contest.
Well, I have my entry posted and I would like to detail some of the work to help someone else understand what goes into a project like this. First order of business was to lower the car. The chassis is aluminum so I used a file and Dremel and made room for the trucks.
I took the trip pins on the trucks and bent and shortened them and they look almost connected from the side. Then I sprayed rusty brown mix onto the chassis and trucks. I finished up with a light dusting of fade mix (dirty white wash basically)
I then took some lead weight and glued it to the chassis making sure that it was centered so the car would run flat and true. Next up was the body. I started by putting some masking tape over the road numbers to make them look new and then painted my fade mix. I then used a grimey black wash and some rust to fatigue everything. The pretty white letters got scraped and roughed up with my Exacto blade and and the rust runs were made with some chalks. The roof had some rust painted on and then blended in with some chalks as well. I painted a base layer of white and added some tags in three places. I went out a week ago and did some rail fanning and found this car
I decided to give this car a fresh new door of contradictory color as well. I also added some bits of silver paint to portray bare metal in the wear areas of stairs.
I went a step further and swapped out the original Botchmann brakewheel with a MTL brakewheel
The only problem is that I haven't had a chance to repaint the brakewheel (molded in orange) to match the car before I could start weathering it...d'oh!
In case I messed up on the Great Northern car, I had backup entry that I was working on and this is it.
This is the before shot, it's another modernized box car but this one has sliding doors. Micro-Trains P/N 24240 is Gulf, Mobile, & Ohio # 21587. According to the information on the back of the box it was built in 1947 and rebuilt in 1968 so quite similar in history as the GN car.
GMO21587a by nscalestation posted Dec 20, 2015 at 2:58 PM
Prototype reference photo of a sister box car, GM&O # 22318. The photo is from RRpicturearchives.net and was taken by Ron Hawkins.
GMO 22318 by nscalestation posted Dec 20, 2015 at 2:58 PM
And here are finished photos of both sides of the car. Nothing too dramatic done on this one. I used some Floquil old silver on the roof to give it a paint peeling / fading pattern seen on the roofs of many box cars. The roof also got some dry brushed Floquil weathered black for some heavy grime. The same treatments for fading and weathering that were used on the GN car were used on the sides of this one. Also the trucks were weathered the same way as the GN car. I did notice some faded chalk marks on the prototype photo so ordered a set of N scale dry transfers from Clover House and those can be seen as they are the only bright white. Maybe I could have faded those as well.
GMO21587d by nscalestation posted Dec 20, 2015 at 2:58 PM
GMO21587e by nscalestation posted Dec 20, 2015 at 2:58 PM
Fun contest, looking forward to next month.
Here is my entry for this month's contest. I started with a coat of dull coat, then applied white chalks to add the paint. After sealing with another coat of dull coat, I applied burnt sienna acrylic with a Q-tip, then wiped it off with a clean, wet Q-tip. Once dry, apply another coat of dull coat, and repeat with burnt umber and another coat of dull coat. I airbrushed some dust along the bottom of the car and painted the FVM wheels rust. The couplers are body-mounted.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great weathering, but voting already began
Dang... I saw the link on Micro-Trains's FB page last week and thought I had time... :-(
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just wait for the First, the next contest will be announced then! Micro-trains.com gave us six prizes, and only two of them are single cars!