Updating old loco's to DCC

MechE-83 Dec 14, 2019

  1. MechE-83

    MechE-83 TrainBoard Member

    12
    2
    2
    Hey all,

    I am new to the hobby, and of course decided to start off from scratch!! By building my own DCC++ base station, and updating an old DC locomotive to DCC. (Couldn't have just bought a system to start, that would have been too easy!!!)


    Anyway,
    I've got the base station all set up, and I can fairly reliably program my updated locomotive. But I seem to loose the connection fairly regularly.

    I have an 18V (3.5A) power supply with about 14.3V on the rails. But I seem to only get a few inches of travel before the train shuts down. I then need to "release" the train, from the throttle in JMRI, usually bump it with my hand, and then re-set the train. Just to get another few inches out of it!!



    Looking for any advice, if anyone has experience with this type of problem or upgrade!
    Thanks all!!
     
  2. RBrodzinsky

    RBrodzinsky Staff Member TrainBoard Supporter

    5,096
    1,684
    79
    Scale? Loco? Decoder? Make sure track and wheels are clean.
     
  3. MechE-83

    MechE-83 TrainBoard Member

    12
    2
    2
    Hey,
    Sorry!!

    It's HO scale, the loco is an "older" bachmann Santa fe 4 steam loco, and the decoder is a digitrax DH126D.


    Just an fyi, but I noticed that one of the front pickups wasn't touching the back of the front wheel.
    So I've now taken the trucks completely off to clean and re-bend the pickup.

    I'll let you know if that works!!
    Thanks
     
  4. MechE-83

    MechE-83 TrainBoard Member

    12
    2
    2
    OK,
    Put the train back together, making sure that the leads made contact with the back of the wheels.
    and IT'S ALIVE!!!!!

    Thanks so much for everyone that helped!!
    next step is to work on learning JMRI!!
     
  5. RBrodzinsky

    RBrodzinsky Staff Member TrainBoard Supporter

    5,096
    1,684
    79
    Glad to hear.
     

Share This Page