Jan 16, 2009
A Frisco B30-7
The Super Chief
It started out as a Model Power Vanderbilt that I scratch built a new fuel bunker for.
Terrific shot! Would you tell us a little bit about how you got it? Did you use Helicon for the depth of field?:thumbs_up:
It was shot with a Canon Rebel XT in manual. The apature value was set at 36 and the shutter speed at 30" (I'm not sure what that means other than the shutter stay open long enough to get proper lighting) The lighting was overhead by two 40 watt fluoresent tubes. I have been experimenting and finally found the setting I like
Your shutter value of 36 means that the ratio of the diameter of the actual iris, that allowed a thin rod of light to fall on the receiver, to the length of the distance from that same iris to the receiver, was 36/1. The iris was only 1mm in diameter, say, and the length of the focus, from the plane of the iris to the film or chip, was 36mm. That configuration would give you a very good depth of focus, but it would take a long time with such a small opening to let the receiver accumulate enough light-fall to show a decent image. So, you hold the shutter open longer to compensate, but you can appreciate that the camera must be rock steady for the duration of the exposure.
Very nice, dramatic image.
thanks for the information. I don't know much about the actual workings and I appreciate learning more. It's always nice to know the reason why you achieve the end result
Some Grande Locos
These are mostly Atlas locos. The 3111 is the new GP40-2 with the WV Caboose 01504.
Then I have a shot of the 3111 along side the 3141 (Atlas Smurf in Anshutz Orange) to contrast the colors.
And finally, the 3141, 3131 and 3116 (This is and Athearn) teamed up as helpers.
Still working to get the rest done. I have 11 Atlas GP40s and a bunch of Athearn GP40-2s.
The Grande considered them all GP40s.
Here are a couple of new pics from myself.....
a 4-6-4 Hudson:
a wider shot of the same Hudson:
a 4-6-0 Ten Wheeler coming round the bend:
a glimpse of a car wash:
A set of Kato F Units I finally got around to finishing up for a Trainboard member....
The Boraccho Springs Restaurant on Route 66 is closed on the Belmont Shore Club. There is often a Highway "speed trap" where the police stop the fast movers on the highway. The arroyo seldom sees water here; it's been dry for a long time.
Flash...I love it...man you capture old 66 really well!
Great pics this week everyone!:thumbs_up::thumbs_up: Joe, Your SD9 is looking great! Did you scratchbuild the cab arm rest?......Got any more?:tb-biggrin:
Thanks Jerry!:tb-biggrin: Mine will be pre-GRIP, 39XX number series.
Dude, where's your Cadillac? They'd be sweet, especially beat up and faded. :tb-cool:
I see the C-40-3 lurking within the fleet, looks great:tb-wink:
The arm rest is cast and the master was built with .020 sq., .010 x .020 strip and a couple of triangle braces cut from .005 sheet. I need to pour a new mold, but I may have a few more laying around... :thinking:
What I been working on for the past few weeks
Well, I started off this week replacing the couplers and boxes on my Athearn rtr NS OCS F units, because I didn’t like the un-proto-typical space in between them. I used American Limited coupler box kit from Walthers. You have to actually cut off some of the original box and slide the new one over it the set them back.
These next units, I have been working on for the past few weeks:
My pair of Athearn Blue Box Sd40-2’s in SCL/FL scheme that I patched for my own regional line, MWGX loco’s 312 and 313
Heres one of two sets of PPW-Aline 5 car sets of twin stacks that I got in kit form undecorated. I painted, decalled, and hooked these bad boys up:
closeup of one of the two Atlas articulated auto racks I got for Christmas:
both of them:
Heres my newest kitbash: a SD50S, yep a first generation SD50 kit built on a sd40-2 frame. I originally built this loco with the original NS plain catfish scheme on it and as road # 6502. Well as it would be, that road number was turned into a SD40E unit, A non turbocharged SD50. I added the mu hoses and cable to the front and rear, mounted ditch lights to both decks, ac on top, sinclair antennaes on both side of cab, firecrackers on roof of cab towards the dyn brake housing, installed grab irons and awaiting a sd50 handrail set to mutilate. She will be a dummy permanently matched up with a Conrail patched SD60 that will supply lights for the forward headlights and ditch lights as I disable the rear lights in the sd60 unit.
My latest C40-9W NS unit; #9254 OLS unit with some new twists to it. It has solid sill stripes and the NS decal on the side has been changed to use the thoroughbreed decal instead, also has a full white face instead of just the brow.
Jerome, heres one for ya: My bash of a NS switcher. What is it a MP15DC? Or kjust a reg sw1500? I don’t care too much for switchers, but thought I’d update this one at least.
Aww, my kitbash of a Athearn AC4400 with extended dyn brakes into a NS ES44AC with ext dyn brakes, unit # 8002. I used a website, I’ll have to dig it up, as a guideline for bashing this unit:
A certain young man traded me this loc shell and chassis for a few odd cars I had. He had stripped the driveline for use in another loco as he couldn’t get this one to run on the small diameter of track he is using. Well this one had a little surgery upon its return to the rails: I had to build new pilots on both ends, new driveline all the way through it, realign the wheelsets for proper gauge, and then installed a decoder, and she runs great now! My min radius is 26deg, so it has no problems negotiating my layout:
1 of my newest acquisitions this past week: Athearn Blue Box C44-9W CNW # 8651 (top) and 8606 (below)
And lastly, my acquisitions from a trade for a couple of gp50’s undec’d, thenks Jerome:
'Grande work, Paul!